Computer Building Help
Virus/Security Alerts
Broadband Tweaks
Computing Guides
Featured Hot Deals
Reviews
Tools

Top 25 reasons to register!

Advertise your link here for $19.99/month!

Computers OverClocked Welcomes You!
 Date/Time is Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 am
 Computer Photo Gallery
Computing News Headlines:
New HTC Android Phones Tweaked to Evade Apple Patents
Ivy Bridge Temperatures – It’s Gettin’ Hot in Here
Adobe CS6 on sale today, Creative Cloud coming May 11th

Media Companies Target File Trading on Research Network
Post new topic Reply to topic Computers OverClocked Forums - Computing News All times are GMT - 5 Hours - EDT
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject: Media Companies Target File Trading on Research Network
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:24 pm

Below is an article with recent information on the file trading problem hitting students. In addition, an email is attached that was sent to Rochester Institute of Technology students. We recommend you register before posting so you can keep up on the discussion.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Record label and movie studio investigators said on Tuesday they plan to sue more than 400 college students who used a special high-speed network to copy songs and movies.

Broadband networks made college campuses hotbeds of illegal copying, but students now use an even faster network known as Internet2, trade groups for the two industries said.

Designed for academic research, Internet2's extremely fast speed allows users to download a movie in 5 minutes or a song in less than 20 seconds. Existing cable or DSL broadband networks usually take an hour to download a movie and 2 minutes to download a song.

"Internet2 is increasingly becoming the network of choice for students looking to steal songs and other copyrighted works on a massive scale," said Cary Sherman, president of the Recording Industry Association of America.

Those targeted in the lawsuits made an average of 3,900 files available for copying over the network, Sherman said on a conference call.

Users logged on to the network on Monday were sharing 99 terabytes of material, the equivalent of an entire video-rental store, said Dan Glickman, who heads the Motion Picture Association of America, on a separate conference call.

The RIAA said it sued 405 students at 18 schools. The MPAA declined to say how many lawsuits it had filed.

Individuals were not named in the lawsuits, but their names will likely be uncovered as the cases move forward.

Over the past two years, the RIAA has sued more than 9,000 individuals who distribute and copy their songs using "peer to peer" software like Grokster and Morpheus. The MPAA began to sue individuals in November.

Media companies also have sued the software makers, but so far, courts have found they can't be held responsible for the actions of their users. The Supreme Court is expected to rule on the case by June.

Those targeted in the latest round of lawsuits used software called i2hub, which was specifically designed for use over Internet2.

The RIAA has not sued the makers of the software, Sherman said, adding "we are making no decision at this time about future action."

Glickman said he had a message for the creators of the software: "We know who you are, and we strongly encourage you to stop what you are doing."

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

---------------------------

Here's an example of a letter sent warning students that go to the Rochester Institute of Technology:

TO: RIT Students

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is sending notices to
RIT of its intention to subpoena the identity of specific RIT computer
users. This intention is a significant ramp up of the RIAA’s efforts to
stop illegal file sharing. RIAA has targeted specific computer accounts used
to access and transmit such files, and issued subpoenas to the service
providers in order to obtain the names and contact information of those
responsible for the file-sharing.

The notices RIT receives are associated with students living in RIT
residences or using the wireless network at RIT. Such notices are in
preparation for a lawsuit against the individuals RIAA believes have
violated copyright law by illegally downloading and uploading music via
file-sharing programs.

RIT policy is not to release the names or contact information of our
computer users unless required to do so by law. Should RIAA pursue legal
action, RIT may be compelled to release the identities of these individuals.

To avoid legal action over inappropriate file-sharing, it is important you
understand the proper use of RIT computing resources. While some
file-sharing is lawful, some file-sharing is not. Some programs used to
download files from the Internet often, unbeknownst to the recipient, turn
the individual's computer into a file-sharing (uploading) server. Even
unknowingly uploading copyrighted works may subject you to legal risk.

RIT assumes that students lawfully use RIT computer and network resources.
The RIT Code of Conduct for Computer and Network Use provides use guidelines:

http://www.rit.edu/computerconduct

If you have any questions about appropriate use of RIT computer and network
resources, you may contact the ITS HelpDesk at 475-4357 or the TTY line at
475-2810, email helpdesk@rit.edu or visit the HelpDesk in the Gannett
Building (7B-1113).

Diane Barbour
Chief Information Officer
Information & Technology Services
Rochester Institute of Technology
585 475 2233

Mary-Beth Cooper
Vice President for Student Affairs
Rochester Institute of Technology
585-475-2267

Last edited by Adam on Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Rate Post
Ambassador Kwan

PostPost subject: Re: Media Companies Target File Trading on Research Network
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:28 pm

Wonder how long untill DC gets the axe. Will this be the end of the hub? I don't know if people will be as willing to host stuff or not. Hmmm... DC is faster anyway.
 Rate Post
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:36 pm

I'm turning i2hub off tonight, but leaving DC++ on. I see that the MPAA will also be sending out supoeanas tomorrow.
 Rate Post
Samurai

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:46 pm

I say we revolt! If they dont want us to download their crappy music, then we just wont download it, buy it, or make any financial contribution towards them. There are a lot of other music labels out there with amazing songs. Just because their crap is on MTV doesnt meen its any better. Stop being consumer-whores and revolt!
 Rate Post
rit student

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:56 pm
Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,67198,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2
 Rate Post

PostPost subject:
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:32 pm

Will the MPAA/RIAA come to campus in order to obtain the data? If so, a protest should be organized.
 Rate Post

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:11 pm

I agree with your equation: RIAA == NAZIS on your posters around campus.

For instance, I read an article a few months back about how the RIAA has a host of some people called "Jews" that they use to dig giant holes in the ground. I think they're called "mass graves" or something like that. They also force these "Jews" into rooms labeled "Shower" but it's actually a "Gas Chamber" - I don't remember the link to the article, it might have helped in your fight to free yourselves from legal obligations to pay for music.
 Rate Post

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:41 pm

cry me a river
 Rate Post
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject:
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:49 pm

Nazis didn't give their victims a choice. The RIAA doesn't give their victims a choice either.

More flyers will be put up. Vandals will be reported.
 Rate Post
Samurai

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:21 pm

Well, according to the Nazis, what they were doing was legal too. Its far from right though, but its just that they claimed they were doing. The RIAA is similar to the nazi's in the form that they control the music industries, and abuse it at their will. It may be legal, but its more of a legal loophole. The RIAA controls a monopoly which is NOT legal in any sense. They only get away with it because its arguable that other people have the right to buy media from other labels.

I was involved in hanging up the flyers and I appologize to those who were offended by the comparisson of nazi's to the RIAA, but what we were trying to accomplish is the realization of the greed and brutality of the RIAA, which are attributes that most people can agree were also shared by the nazi's. Of course the attrocities of the nazi's can not be compared to those of the RIAA, however many will agree that the RIAA can be considered as "financial" nazis. They believe that their music is superior than the music of other labels, then they build up the popularity of their opinion by controlling the radio, Mtv, (EmptyV) etc., but rather than rewarding their supporters, they demand money from them, raise CD prices, and persecute those who support their music and do not pay them. Furthermore, to show how brutal they are towards other labels, all stores which are run under the RIAA, such as Virgin megastore, sell CD's from other labels at their inflated prices in order to crush competition. They punish not only supporters of their own labels but those of other labels. I have bought CD's for 5 dollars directly from non-RIAA labels and then find the exact same CD in places such as virgin megastores for 18.

Sorry for the long lecture, i have VERY strong views on all this. Once again I appologize for any offense that I may have caused and will try to use less offending flyers etc. from now on. I also hope that my long boring speach enlightened some of you and make people more aware of the atrocities of the RIAA.
 Rate Post
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject:
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:44 pm

Yay, none of the IPs are mine! Smile

Interesting how some of the IPs are from wireless from RIT and at the library... I wonder if RIT will be sued.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050413/NEWS01/504130326/1002/NEWS
http://www.wokr13.tv/wokrinfo/ontv.aspx
 Rate Post
bReD
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject:
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:04 pm

I resolved the IPs listed at http://www.wokr13.tv/wokrinfo/ontv.aspx

tomato.rh.rit.edu [129.21.106.86]
bludazi.rh.rit.edu [129.21.108.15]
audiomural.rh.rit.edu [129.21.145.212]
acd04030.rit.edu [129.21.176.58]
Did not resolve [129.21.39.167]
res13709.rh.rit.edu [129.21.108.217]
Did not resolve [129.21.103.71]
res12805.rh.rit.edu [129.21.102.63]
chaosnet.rh.rit.edu [129.21.115.196]
lizmichaud.rh.rit.edu [129.21.105.173]
wolverined.rh.rit.edu [129.21.102.202]
res14269.rh.rit.edu [129.21.131.67]
Did not resolve [128.21.135.110] -- Not @ RIT >>
res10927.rh.rit.edu [129.21.102.23]
brytho.rh.rit.edu [129.21.114.179]
marshmanrg.rh.rit.edu [129.21.106.203]
sethfowler.rh.rit.edu [129.21.136.17]
compuda.rh.rit.edu [129.21.103.23]
res11840.rh.rit.edu [129.21.126.23]
kuzman.rh.rit.edu [129.21.148.55]
tiny.rh.rit.edu [129.21.135.70]
nevermore.rh.rit.edu [129.21.146.132]
res11439.rh.rit.edu [129.21.109.188]
jon.rh.rit.edu [129.21.140.27]
res11565.rh.rit.edu [129.21.103.40]
 Rate Post
ManiacMog
NEW POSTER

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:24 am

Do you think we should pretest RIAA on the day they prosecute (or when the get the names of the people belonging to the IP's from RIT)?
 Rate Post
Topaz
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:52 pm

bReD wrote:
Did not resolve [128.21.135.110] -- Not @ RIT >>

I have a feeling that this IP was a typo. The first octet should be 129.
 Rate Post
bReD
NEW POSTER

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:05 am

figured that too, but even with 129 as the first octet, it still didnt resolve :-p
 Rate Post
Topaz
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject:
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:09 am

good, then...one less lawsuit for RIT!
 Rate Post
dj_mixt
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:54 am

Before today I hadn't heard of Internet2...

It would be GODLY for gaming centers. MMMMMM over 5gb/s Smile

$27,000 a year for regular membership.
 Rate Post
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:20 am

Sent yesterday:

TO: RIT Students
As you are probably aware, RIT is in the process of responding to a subpoena from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) to supply the identity of 25 students who are alleged to have violated copyright laws by providing illegal access to music files through peer-to-peer file connections. A letter has now arrived on campus from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) which is in the process of issuing similar subpoenas to some universities. The subpoenas require a university to supply the identity of an individual associated with a machine utilizing a specific IP address at the time the alleged violation occurred.

On April 18, 2005, MPAA composed a letter to RIT describing the infringement of copyright law through the Internet2 network. The letter is accompanied by a spreadsheet naming more than 100 IP addresses at RIT which provided illegal access to movie files through peer-to-peer file connections during February 2005.

The IP addresses are associated with students living in RIT residences or using the wireless network at RIT. The MPAA believes the students associated with these registered machines have violated copyright law by illegally downloading and uploading movies via file-sharing programs.

The MPAA has issued an intention to subpoena notice to RIT which targets a single IP address. It is not clear if other notices are pending.

Please be aware that it is RIT’s policy not to release the names or contact information of RIT computer users unless required to do so by law. Should the MPAA pursue legal action, RIT could be compelled to release the identities of the associated individuals.

To avoid legal action over inappropriate file-sharing, it is important you understand the proper use of RIT computing resources. While some file-sharing is lawful, some file-sharing is not. Some programs used to download files from the Internet often, unbeknownst to the recipient, turn the individual's computer into a file-sharing (uploading) server. Even unknowingly uploading copyrighted works may subject you to legal risk.

RIT assumes that students lawfully use RIT computer and network resources. The RIT Code of Conduct for Computer and Network Use provides use guidelines:

http://www.rit.edu/computerconduct

If you have any questions about appropriate use of RIT computer and network resources, contact the ITS HelpDesk at 475-4357 or the TTY line at 475-2810, email helpdesk@rit.edu or visit the HelpDesk in the Gannett Building (7B-1113).

Diane Barbour, Chief Information Officer

Mary Beth Cooper, Vice President, Student Affairs

Stan McKenzie, Provost
 Rate Post
chenyan01

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:32 am

longchamp, louboutin shoes, abercrombie fitch, adidas online shop, baseball jerseys, dre headphones, adidas shoes, hollister kids, michael kors outlet online sale, michael kors outlet, michael kors handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, air max thea, montre femme, ed hardy, calvin klein outlet, beats by dr dre, abercrombie.com, adidas clothings, kate spade handbags, adidas, cheap michael kors, adidas.nl, new balance, instyler, kate spade outlet, bcbg max, juicy couture handbags, shoes outlet, michaelkors.com, maccosmetics.com, bottega, louboutin shoes, huaraches, kate spade bags, jordan retro, huarache, gooses, flat iron, marc jacobs handbags, burberry, longchamp, chanel sunglasses, michael kors outlet, giuseppe zanotti sneakers, hollister co, nike factory, chanel purses, insanity schedule, adidas zx, christian louboutin, hugo boss, nba jersey, michael kors bags, abercrombie and fitch, air yeezy, michael kors outlet online sale, coach factory outlet, michael kors purses, converse, abercrombie, hermes belt, michael kors bags, longchamp handbags, new balance, converse, asics gel, louboutin shoes, chi flat iron, mbt shoes, nfl jerseys, mac makeup, new balance shoes, coach outlet store online, cheap eyeglasses, boutique clothing, michael kors outlet online sale, hermes birkin bag, burberry outlet online, juicy couture clothings, wholesale handbags, long champ, coach outlet online, givenchy, barbour outlet store, nike air max, coach factory outlet online, louboutin shoes, cheap coach purses, coach factory, omega watches, mlb jerseys, ray-ban sunglasses, horloges, burberry handbags, hollister online shop, michael kors outlet online sale, new balance store, air jordan shoes, marc jacobs handbags, eyeglasses frames, wholesale handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, coach bags friday, michael kors, new balance, converse sneakers, longchamp, burberry, air jordan, michael kors outlet, ghd, coach factory outlet, christian louboutin, kate spade handbags, chanel, burberry outlet online, mcm backpack outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, mcm backpack, lebron james shoes, burberry outlet online, babyliss flat iron, longchamp outlet, coach outlet, bcbg max azria, abercrombie and fitch kids, burberry outlet online, adidas online shop, mcm bags, ray bans, air max 95, converse outlet, jordans, michael kors, burberry outlet, mcm handbags, coach outlet, jimmy choo outlet, levis outlet, canada gooses, moncler outlet, chanel outlet, celine outlet, burberry handbags, ferragamo shoes, michaelkors.com, guess outlet, beats headphones, jimmy choo, rolex watches, cheap barbour jackets, lacoste outlet, veneta, barbour, abercrombie kids, nhl jerseys, uggs, jerseys from china, nba jersey, cheap jordans, mcm bags, hollister clothing, michael kors outlet online, hollister, salvatore ferragamo, burberry sale, air max 90, asics, burberry handbags, long champ, hollister clothing store, hogan, barbour jackets outlet, giuseppe zanotti, red bottom shoes, mizuno, adidas, easton bats, dsquared2 sale, moncler jackets outlet, fendi shoes, barbour mens jackets, iphone 5s cases, burberry outlet, coach outlet online, armani watches, basketball shoes, burberry handbags, mlb jerseys, beats by dre headphones, coach outlet store, michael kors bags, thomas sabo, air jordan retro, , purses and handbags
cpp
 Rate Post
seokts

PostPost subject:
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 pm

ve may bay di da nang

ve may bay di nha trang

ve may bay di buon ma thuot
ve may bay di ha noi

ve may bay di san gon

ve may bay di phu quoc

Last edited by seokts on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Rate Post
myy123123

PostPost subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 pm

49ers nfl jersey michael kors true religion outlet burberry outlet online the north face michael kors black friday true religion jeans outlet dallas mavericks jersey michael kors handbags nike free 5.0 michael kors bills nfl jersey mcm handbags oakley sungalsses outlet michael kors ralph lauren outlet pandora uk michael kors outlet ralph lauren online shop ralph lauren outlet coach outlet hollisterco oakley sungalsses outlet soccer shoes oakley sunglasses outlet oakley outlet online ray ban outlet jazz jersey marc jacobs toms shoes valentino rolex watches handbags outlet hogan chargers nfl jersey woolrich outlet roshe run ray ban wayfarer denver nuggets jersey los angeles lakers jerseys uggs black friday burberry outlet burberry outlet online puma shoes cheap jerseys abercrombie fitch thomas sabo air force pandora ralph lauren polo replica watches adidas schuhe coach black friday asics coach black friday oakley vault cheap ray ban nike mcm backpack miami heat jerseys nike store kings jersey timberland shoes oakley sunglasses outlet p90x workout timberland boots basketball shoes nike factory air max oakley sunglasses cheap iphone case charlotte hornets jersey burberry uk michael kors outlet online nike rams nfl jersey vans shoes cheap michael kors bengals nfl jersey hilfiger online shop ralph lauren outlet online nets jerseys nike free run ray ban black friday nike roshe run celine black friday colts nfl jersey oakley sungalsses outlet redskins nfl jersey oakley sungalsses outlet five finger shoes jets nfl jersey tommy hilfiger ray bans new balance oakley vault levi's jeans cheap oakley sunglasses puma christian louboutin outlet atlanta hawks jersey north face backpacks versace outlet cheap michael kors ralph lauren black friday swarovski thomas sabo mlb jerseys oklahoma city thunder jerseys tory burch outlet air max nike air pandora charms true religion jeans michael kors trail blazers jersey kate spade outlet north face timberwolves jersey bottega tommy hilfiger outlet michael kors black friday beats headphones coach outlet toms outlet
 Rate Post
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic Reply to topic Computers OverClocked Forums - Computing News Page 1 of 1