Computer Building Help
Virus/Security Alerts
Broadband Tweaks
Computing Guides
Featured Hot Deals
Reviews
Tools

Top 25 reasons to register!

Advertise your link here for $19.99/month!

Computers OverClocked Welcomes You!
 Date/Time is Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 am
 Computer Photo Gallery
Computing News Headlines:
New HTC Android Phones Tweaked to Evade Apple Patents
Ivy Bridge Temperatures – It’s Gettin’ Hot in Here
Adobe CS6 on sale today, Creative Cloud coming May 11th

Earthlink is worst service
Post new topic Reply to topic Computers OverClocked Forums - Broadband Reviews - Negative Experiences All times are GMT - 5 Hours - EDT
rbbnjmn
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject: Earthlink is terrible
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:28 am

Worst service I know of, and getting worse each day.
I have been their customer for about 8 years.
If I could save my email address I'd have left a long
time ago. Now it is so bad I will leave anyway.

I'm a dialup user...

Used to be 24x7 available, now forget about it after midnight...
Used to be 56K, now forget about that too. Often connect at
19K to 36K.. if at all.

They have cut back on everything, after all, infrastructure is
invisible right?

How come connect at 56K crawls like 14.4? Why because their
servers are terrible, and getting worse.

Don't bother trying to call them... either no one home or no
one who speaks english....

If we all work hard we can kill them off and send the providers
a message. Don't pay for crap service!
 Rate Post
phenixdragon
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:35 am

Sorry to burst your bubble there but your connection issue isn?t on the EarthLink side. You should look up about modems and connection issues. You have the classic symptoms have dropping packets through the line, which is with your LEC, inside your house or with your modem.

I will admit I use to work there, before I was with Mindspring, but I do hate the company with a passion. The CEO is a moron who went around firing 50% of the company. I don?t know anyone there who doesn?t hate the company who use to love it.

But at least now I am in the IT for the worlds biggest coffee company located in Seattle. Very Happy
 Rate Post
theundertaker
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject: Re: Earthlink sucks? Earthlink is great? Let us know!
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:33 pm

rbb hit the nail on the head EARTHLINK BLOWS LARGE GREEN CHUNKS. mail takes forever to send. i started out just not being able to send mail. now i dont even have any earthlink programs on but im still paying them 22 bucks a month. there total 2005 s full of bugs most of the time it wont download at all when it dose download it causes all sorts of errors. the idiot tech told me to erace and redo the program (i had 2004 which was ok) and when i went to reload it i couldnt cause they only had 05. now ive been waiting a month for a diskette of 04. they told me in order to erace o5 completely i had to go into my scan registry and mess with it. i told the tech i wouldnt do that he was an idiot. so im paying 22 bucks to earthlink but i have no software. SAVE YOUR MONEY GO TO ATT THEY ONLY CHARGE 12 FOR THERE SERVICE AND THEY HELP THERE COSTUMERS
 Rate Post
gwaring
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject: Re: Earthlink sucks? Earthlink is great? Let us know!
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:29 pm

Terrible, Indian outsouceing will bring down this company, they are all either liars or incompetant.
Write to BBB in Atlanta and let them know your complaints.
 Rate Post
goldrush
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:40 am

EARTHLINK in my opinion is a very poor option. The $ is way too high the tech support cannot not speak understandable English and if you ever have to cancel service you will be in for a rude treatment.
Cancel by writing AND phone. Document EVERYONE who you speak with and the times and GET A CONFIRMATION number. I was cut off twice after waiting 20 minutes each call and never did get the number. Sure enough I was billed again for the next month and had to do it all over again. Three other earthlink users and I also had problems with dropped connections which earthlink told us was the fault of the phone company. 2 of us, switched to pgh connect and have had ZERO dropped connections and nothing but outstanding tech support and cust.svs. in over a year. All this for only $9.95 Theyalso speak excellent English!!
 Rate Post
skizman
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject: Earthlink heading for the sewer!
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:20 pm

I loved earthlink a few years ago, but at least the last 6 months I have had total agony with tech support. Seems like no one can fix any problems anymore. I have waitd 2 1/2 months so far for them to send me a 2005Total Access CD, and have called 5x, and still not in the mailbox.
Today they told me to email their webmaster because of a problem with my blog page thru trellix. There is no webmaster because it came back undeliverable. I can't even explain how furious and frustrated Iam with all this. I really wish i could meet some of these techs in person because I would bite their ears off.
Where can i complain to??? What is BBB in Atlanta? Anyone know the address to the CEO of earthlink?
thanks.
 Rate Post
brownb56

PostPost subject: Re: Earthlink is worst service
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:46 pm

Earthlink high speed has been available here for the past year through sprint. I was one of the first customers to sign up for the service. At first there were a couple problems but customer service has been excellent. Had an issue about three months ago that ended up being the line coming into the house. Customer service was promt and curtious, sent a tech out the day after calling them. Current speeds around 1.5mps/260kps download/upload. Sorry to hear your problems but they have only been good to me.
 Rate Post
somebody1

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:24 am

this thread is full of new posters, lol Laughing glad to see all yall join.

well dialup is the slowest service, but companies are not keeping dialup servers up-to-date (tring to get people to move to highspeed), more users are on dialup than there used to be, most standard users dont need speed so they go for cheaper service,

also like phenixdragon said mostly its the telephone line going to your house, modem, or computer setup that causes the slow speeds. if the wiring was not installed right in your house it could be detirating, causing the probelm. many factors are in play, as its not to blame the provider, other people get on fine.

and if you are a l33t computer user you would know how to access the net without using their crappie resource hoggin software. Wink
 Rate Post
Ryan M.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:07 pm

okay earthlink dialup is $9.95 for the first six months, and then its around $20. Why not just look for a local DSL provider that is cheap. I pay $30 for my Verizon DSL and now Verizon has a plan that is $15.
FunnyBunny6
NEW POSTER

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:28 am

This company (earthlink) is the biggest scam artist ever! A few months ago we had been receiving dial-up service from a local ISP, paying month-to-month. The local ISP was purchased by earthlink and we were told that earthlink would contact us to set up new service. We had no outstanding balance with the local ISP. In Nov. 2005 Earthlink called to see if we had received the startup packet (we never did), I told her we were not interested in using earthlink and to cancel the account. Fast forward to 1/2006, earthlink began harassing our answering machine while we were at work everyday for several weeks. Finally they left a phone number for us to call back. After speaking to someone with very poor English (in India of course), they claimed we had a balance of $29.95 for internet service we had never used nor signed up for. After explaining the situation we were told the account would be cancelled and the charge dropped. The very next day they called again about the $29.95 balance! They insisted we owed money. Initially they refused to let us speak to a manager, Finally after demanding to speak with a "manager", he claimed they would cancel the account (which never existed) but we still owed money. It wasn't until that we threatened to get our attorney involved that they backed down and deleted the charge. They were very hesitant to give any of their names and we had to specifically ask for a confirmation number, as they didn't want to give that to us either. We shall see if this holds.
 Rate Post
Ryan M.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:35 am

wow thats crazy..some guy called us from india before, i answered, but i couldnt understand a word he said. so i hung up on him Razz
 Rate Post
PCracer51
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

PostPost subject:
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 pm

I setup, or tried to setup a dlink router for a friend of mine on earthline. Their username and modem config is a nightmare. I hate whatever moron it is that made their modems still have to be in bridged mode only. My verizon DSL modem handels PPOE, DHCP and DNS routing all automaticly out of the box (some of which I turned off for more advanced configuration) but it does it. Earthlink still has the nasty old PPPoE dialer and if you use a rotuer t has to handel that. Ewww..

Final Note: I Love My Verizon!!

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=91038
 Rate Post
Ryan M.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:42 pm

PCracer,any chance that you have the Westell 327W?
 Rate Post
PCracer51
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

PostPost subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:04 pm

for my verzion line I have the westel 2200

I don;t know what the modem is for my friend w/ earthlink

Rate Post
Jacob062406
Platinum Member

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:30 am

Becareful with the Westel 2200 model because they are easy to crack and get into. I have a few friends who broke into a few of them and caused some damage Smile War driving is fun but when its not fun when someone gets hurt! lol
 Rate Post
PCracer51
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:31 pm

I can't do much with the modem, but the house is secured down

Wireless runs no bordcast on SSID, MAC Filtering and 64 bit WEP.

Wired runs MAC Filtering and static assigning

And it is all sitting behind a Small Business Server 2003 box for the windows side for shared and ACU authentication to the devices and drives. I wardrive too and my neighbor has an unsecured verizon line on a netgear router, so it's easy to find an alternative, I doubt someone will spend the time with mine when an open signal is right next door. Smile

Rate Post
Jacob062406
Platinum Member

PostPost subject:
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:47 pm

WEP not WPA? 64bit not 128bit?
 Rate Post
PCracer51
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

PostPost subject:
Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 am

Yea I know WPA2 is better but for my home I think it is a little overkill. Like I said, my neighbor is wide open and there is an adelphia cable line down the street wide open too. I'm better than my surroundings, so I should be safe. Besides, the 2003 SBS firewall shows me everything I need to know.

Rate Post
Jacob062406
Platinum Member

PostPost subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:58 pm

True, plus it is a pain in the ass to type or copy and past a 128bit key Smile
 Rate Post
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic Reply to topic Computers OverClocked Forums - Broadband Reviews - Negative Experiences Page 1 of 1