Computer Building Help
Virus/Security Alerts
Broadband Tweaks
Computing Guides
Featured Hot Deals
Reviews
Tools

Top 25 reasons to register!

Advertise your link here for $19.99/month!

Computers OverClocked Welcomes You!
 Date/Time is Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 am
 Computer Photo Gallery
Computing News Headlines:
New HTC Android Phones Tweaked to Evade Apple Patents
Ivy Bridge Temperatures – It’s Gettin’ Hot in Here
Adobe CS6 on sale today, Creative Cloud coming May 11th

Microsoft delays consumer launch of Windows Vista
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Computers OverClocked Forums - Computing News All times are GMT - 5 Hours - EDT
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject: Microsoft delays consumer launch of Windows Vista
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:50 pm

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. said on Tuesday it plans to delay the consumer launch of its much-anticipated Windows Vista until after this year's holiday shopping season, sending its shares down nearly 3 percent.

The world's largest software maker pushed back the consumer version of Vista until January 2007 from an earlier target for the second half of 2006 and pledged to ship the next version of its operating system to business customers in November.

Vista is the first major overhaul of Windows since Microsoft rolled out Windows XP nearly five years ago.

Microsoft had originally been expected to release Windows Longhorn, now Vista, in 2005. The company scaled back its ambitions and pushed it out to 2006 before this latest delay.

The eight- to 10-week delay, according to estimates by research firm Gartner Inc., may reverberate throughout the technology industry from PC manufacturers to chip makers and down the supply chain, analysts and investors said.

"It is a critical eight- to 10-weeks for retailing and for the producers. The retailers and PC hardware manufacturers work on razor-thin margins, so the impact there could be pretty severe," said David Smith, analyst at Gartner.

Investors, concerned about the impact of a Vista delay on PC sales, pushed down shares of chip maker Intel Corp. and large PC manufacturers Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc. in after-hours trade.

Windows Vista is the headliner for a series of upcoming and recently released new products at the software giant, including its Xbox 360 next-generation game console and an upgrade to its popular Office business software.

The successful roll-out of those new products are vital to Microsoft reestablishing itself as a company with the robust growth potential to provide a kick-start for a largely stagnant stock over the last five years.

Windows, which is found in about 90 percent of all computer desktops, is Microsoft's biggest cash cow.

"We could have just gone ahead, but I didn't think it was the right thing to do," said Jim Allchin, co-president of the company's Platforms & Services Division. "We're setting stringent quality bars on what we do."

Microsoft said it delayed the new Windows to improve overall quality, particularly in security, and that PC makers didn't want the operating system introduced in the middle of holiday sales, because a new version would create instability in the market.

The delay also pertains to Vista loaded on new PCs.

BELLS AND WHISTLES

In addition to beefed-up security, the new Windows offers a new interface with 3-D scrolling between different windows, which can appear translucent to allow users to see the information beneath.

It can also display and record high-definition television on the computer and allows the user to search for content within the PC and across the network.

Microsoft plans to conduct a consumer "beta", or test, of Windows Vista for two million users in the coming quarter.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft is planning six core offerings of the Vista operating system, targeting how people use computers instead of PC hardware specifications.

Three will be aimed at consumers, two at business users, and a stripped-down version for emerging markets. Unlike the current Windows XP, there will be no versions designed specifically for advanced 64-bit computing, multimedia computers or Tablet PCs.

Todd Lowenstein, a co-portfolio manager for HighMark Capital Management's Value Momentum Fund, said the delay is disappointing in the short-term, but his long-term view on the company remains bright.

"There is a host of new product offerings ... and we think that is going to generate good fundamentals and even better sentiment for the stock," said Lowenstein, who owns Microsoft within the fund.

Shares of Microsoft fell 2.56 percent to $27.03 on the Inet electronic brokerage. In regular Nasdaq trade, the stock fell 15 cents, or less than 1 percent, to close at $27.74.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
 Rate Post
PCracer51
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:51 pm

MS has been pushing the release date for vista back for one good reason. They don't want a repeat of ME. You can't put a time frame on production of millions of lines of code, epecially when your doing some major overhauls like the removal of drivers from the OS kernel.
Vista's GUI update is claimed to be the biggest change since windows 95. There are a lot of system changes on security and code ex3ecution that need to be tweaked before its ready to be tossed into a box and hit the shelves. Believe me the last build, released just a few days ago is making very good progress in stability and finishing features, but it is not even close to Release Candidate material.

For those who want to see what the new build is like: [url=http://www.vistabase.co.uk/gallery/index.php?spgmGal=Windows_Vista_Ultimate_Edition_(Build_5342)]Vista Screenshots[/url]

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=91038

Last edited by PCracer51 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
 Rate Post
Jacob062406
Platinum Member

PostPost subject:
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:41 pm

I seriously think that Vista is going to be a big big flop... everyone in the corporate world knows it and they are preparing for nothing short of crap. You guys might not agree but look at what is going on... stocks for the leading chip leaders (AMD and INTEL) have been dropping fast! The only reason these companies just like Dell (another fall out) are falling is because people think or know Vista is not going to be as big as they say it will be.
 Rate Post
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject:
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:53 pm

I think msft stock will go up when Vista is launched. I would buy now. Maybe I'll be wrong, we'll see. Wink

I thought Dell's stock has been going down because of an increasingly competitive market and lower profits made on their sales.
 Rate Post
PCracer51
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:18 am

Jacob, I hate to be rude, but have you seen the OS running, have you dug into the changes?

I can't say it's worth the expected retal prices but vista has 3 things going for it
1) a new look that is going to drive in people because of the craze of how the enviroment they are working in looks as well as the fact it gets the job done.
2) die hards who just have to have the latest and greatest shelling out tons of cash for the newest things (which vista also has some hgih ram and video card requriements for full support) and works wonderfully w/ the xbox 360 as a media center extender.
3) OEM shipout, it's going to come to the public in one flavor or another. Is there another alternative to windows out there for the mass market, No! I hate to say it, but a company ins't going to change over and retrain their people and make new software solutions (or pay for them, because of a few minor issues, they are going to patch them in house and then yell at MS and they will get patched full blown. (what do you think internal programmers are for).

As for stocks, look at AMD for the year, they are up, significantly. Intel is falling and AMD is up, dell, well dell has been loosing out on some oppertunities (they won't do a tablet solution for one) and their sales are not bringing in the kind of profit of other manufacturers. I can't say they have done well this year, nothing great has come out of dell that everyone had to flock to the site for.

Rate Post
Adam
His Excellency

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:19 am

How much will Vista be?
 Rate Post
PCracer51
Category (1) Deputy

Category (1) Deputy

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:28 am

prices haven't been finalized and MS wont say much about it, but expect home basic (cut down version to be in the low 200s, home premium and business in the mid to high 200s and ultimate somwhere in the 300s. for a full retail copy, less for upgrades and OEM.

Last edited by PCracer51 on Sat May 27, 2006 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
 Rate Post
Jacob062406
Platinum Member

PostPost subject:
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:16 am

PCracer51 on Sat May 27, 2006 1:18 am wrote:
Jacob, I hate to be rude, but have you seen the OS running, have you dug into the changes?

I can't say it's worth the expected retal prices but vista has 3 things going for it
1) a new look that is going to drive in people because of the craze of how the enviroment they are working in looks as well as the fact it gets the job done.
2) die hards who just have to have the latest and greatest shelling out tons of cash for the newest things (which vista also has some hgih ram and video card requriements for full support) and works wonderfully w/ the xbox 360 as a media center extender.
3) OEM shipout, it's going to come to the public in one flavor or another. Is there another alternative to windows out there for the mass market, No! I hate to say it, but a company ins't going to change over and retrain their people and make new software solutions (or pay for them, because of a few minor issues, they are going to patch them in house and then yell at MS and they will get patched full blown. (what do you think internal programmers are for).

As for stocks, look at AMD for the year, they are up, significantly. Intel is falling and AMD is up, dell, well dell has been loosing out on some oppertunities (they won't do a tablet solution for one) and their sales are not bringing in the kind of profit of other manufacturers. I can't say they have done well this year, nothing great has come out of dell that everyone had to flock to the site for.

We shall see...
 Rate Post
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Computers OverClocked Forums - Computing News Page 1 of 1